Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Habla Espanol

This morning as I was slowing leaving dreamland and waking to reality. Not my favorite time of day and NO I am NOT lazy!!!! I was thinking of the little boy in Ross's Kindergarten class that is having to learn English. His parents do not speak English and they are not the only ones in our neighborhood like this.

I know of five families on our block alone like this. Some of them speak broken English and one family does speak English quite well.

As I was laying in bed, I was wishing I could speak with these ladies. Then the thought came to me that I should offer to teach them English in exchange for them to teach me Spanish!

I got really excited by this thought. On my mission we offered free English classes to the Italians (although they said we did not speak English, we spoke American. They thought they were two different languages). It was a fun night and a powerful missionary opportunity.

I want to go to the MTC and see if I can buy the books they give to the missionaries to study Spanish from. Then I will talk to all my Spanish speaking neighbors to see if they will exchange English lessons for Spanish.

I am excited! I really really really want to learn to speak Spanish. I understand so much but when I go to speak it only Italian comes out. I am improving but not as quickly as I'd like to. I hope this works out and gets me more fluent in Spanish!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I am impressed with your initiative! Cord has tried to help me learn Spanish but my old brain just doesn't work very well!

julie said...

It helps TONS and TONS that I have already learned a second language and not to mention that it too was a Latin language.

The more languages you learn the easier it gets.

chelle said...

what a sweet thought. I am sure it would be a great blessing to both of you, or should I say all of you. m