Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Goodbye Tesher!

I talked to my mom today and she said they put Tesher down last night. There is a hole in my heart. I would not want him to suffer but I really wanted to have a chance to say goodbye.

Part of me felt he was waiting for David, the kids and I to show up before he left us. He was such a noble dog that I am quite certain he was. He should have died months ago. This thought did not occur to me until just a few days ago. Tesher I miss you already!

Mom just told me today that every time a blue van drove onto their property he would get so excited thinking it was us. He would be disappointed if it was not us. When it was us, he was the first to meet us with a big Tesher smile.

Some say that dogs can not smile, they never met Tesher. He would lift up his upper lip and show all his teeth when he greeted you after a long separation. He would come right up to you and affectionately let you pet him. I think it was his way of hugging you.

Tesher, could run like the wind in his prime! Obviously he was part greyhound. We would throw the frisbee and before it could land on the ground Tesher would be there waiting for it to land.

When David and I had been married about 6 months, I saw some greyhounds. It was love at first sight. I talked to owners and knew that I needed a greyhound. I was lonesome for a dog. Dogs have always been important members of our family!

We were trying to save the few dollars we had as newlyweds and get a retired greyhound. It was going to cost us $150, a lot of money especially for poor college students. A few months later David was driving by the animal shelter when he saw a greyhound. We immediately went to the shelter and discovered for $5 we could adopt him!

He was 10 months old. He was not a pure bred but most people could not tell that from looking at him. His previous owner had moved to Alaska and could not take him.

Tesher was desperate to get out of the shelter because he was with a sheepdog that kept biting his feet to herd him. You could see in his eyes him saying please take me home far a way from this place. He never bit back!

The first time we brought him home, he ran into our home like he had lived there for years. He ran straight to our bed and jumped right onto it. This was before I had bathed him, ugh!

Oh how Tesher disliked baths. So much so that he would not come in or near a bathroom no matter WHAT! One time I wanted to see if I could get him into the bathroom without water in the tube. No amount of loves or doggie treats would entice him in. He just patiently waited outside the bathroom until I finally gave up and came out. During his baths, you could read those eyes again, saying, "Is it over yet?" So patient, so gentle, so kind.

There was always room for Tesher to love another person, dog, being... Every baby we brought home, every friend, every family member, every pet. Tesher knew how to love and to forgive.

Tesher did not like to be left alone. He coped with the stress by chewing up my wedding shoes, down jacket, and mom's couch! Not to mention a quilt I designed and made for Bryce.

This was a time that Tesher was not getting the attention he needed (I had a toddler and was pregnant with a husband that was either on a business trip or working horrendous hours) and Tesher sensed the love I had put into that quilt. One time he let his jealousy for one of our kids go too far.

If there is something I regret, it was when I scolded him for chewing that blanket I never hit him but I hit the ground and the chair near where he was sitting on. He was so sad. Sad for what he did, but also that I was not giving him the love and attention he needed. I realized this and tried to give him more. He accepted any love and attention I had to give and forgave me readily.

He never ever bite us nor one of the kids. Even when a baby would crawl all over him. One time when Bryce climbed on him and stepped on Tesher 's privates. Tesher did a little grumble and got up and left the room.

I could go on and on. He was a marvelous dog. My last thought, is this; I have wondered who will come to get me when I die. A bit morbid sorry. Now I know at least one being who will be there...Tesher!

PS I just read this to Ross and when I read the last sentence, Ross said Jesus the same moment I said Tesher! Perhaps both! I hope I am worthy of that! I wonder if Tesher is with Jesus?

4 comments:

chelle said...

TESHER! I miss him. I remember whenever I came in the door, he would run find something he could pick up and bring to me. He would do this with everyone. Or with everyone that he loved.

It could be a small toy that had been left on the floor or old sock. Julie, you told me how he once picked up one of the kid's pacifier and held it in his mouth like a baby would. That most likely grosses out the non-dog-lovers of the world, but it sounded so cute to me that I never forgot it and I never even so it.

Tesher was the sweetest, kindest of dogs. He especially was kind to my son Corbin. Tesh is the first one Corbin runs to see whenever we visit.

We will miss you Tesh. He had SUCH A GOOD LIFE! If only every dog could have it so good and be so kind. m

Jen said...

Oh, Julie, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your little buddy. I wish you could have seen him one more time.
I remember the sadness I felt each time I found out one of my pets had died. Thankfully I've only lost one while it was still living with us.
I'm sure both of them will greet you when it's your time!

Rachel said...

I remember somthing about you putting baby powder on his fur to keep him soft, when I was really little. Also the infamous skunk story has to be mentioned. He was such a fun dog!

julie said...

He was that and more. Thanks for reminding me of memories of Tesher that I have forgotten. Glad you loved him as well.

PS Lexy was so excited when we arrived on Friday that she wee-ed all over the ground. Fortunately we were outside.

Nothing like a puddle on the ground to let you feel loved!!!