Monday, March 24, 2008

Ross moments!

So Ross and I went to a funeral today. Isn't it interesting that the first three letters in funeral spells fun? Not quite how I would start the word but they did not ask me when they were creating words.

It was a nice funeral and I felt the veil was thin. I liked that. It made me a bit homesick for a home I can not remember.

Back to Ross. He was wearing his beloved Spiderman shirt that I am sure will be the exception to the rule that you can not take anything with you after this life. The ONLY way I was going to get that cuss to the funeral was by putting a sweater over it and promise that the moment we got into the car afterwards he could take off the sweater.

Fortunately, no one noticed and just for fun I showed dear Aunt Effie and cousin Susan. They both laughed as I knew they would and Susan shared her story of her son David having to wear his superman outfit under his church clothes just like Clark Kent/Superman. As soon as he came home he would tear off his church clothes and become Superman. Boys will be boys.

Ross and I headed to the back of the chapel for the services. Apparently Ross is not able to be in a chapel without pens and coloring pad fortunately I came prepared. Right a way he went to work coloring like a madman.

The funeral started with a beautiful a capella solo. Grandma Smart wanted it a capella so that everyone would hear the words to the hymn, "Oh My Father" (I LOVE that hymn too). During the beautiful hymn what does Ross do? Spill all his pens on the gym's wooden floor, not a quiet affair. Sorry Grandma Smart!!! Not sure what she thought at that moment but I hope it is LONG time before I find out.:)

5 comments:

chelle said...

I KNOW Grandma Smart smiled when Ross spilled his pens. Anyone with children knows they are noise at time and well worth every sound. Glad you went, sounds like the right call. m

Janell said...

Glad I am not the only one who battles with boys and their clothes (Levi tried to get away with wearing his shorts over his easter suit yesterday .... and let's not even go to Spiderman) This sounds very familiar - i agree with Mechelle that there were smiles in heaven (while mommy cringes on the sidelines ... )!!

Jenn said...

That is awesome! I love stories like these! Austin I'm sure will do the same thing, we have to put his lightening mcqueen jammy top on over his other jammies, unless mom happens to find it first and hide it. Did David ever tell you about Jared and his cub scout uniform? He had to wear it at all times and would hide it when mom went to do the laundry. I think those are the best stories!! I love the clark kent/superman story also, that's hilarious!

julie said...

I hope she was not annoyed. It was a beautiful song and I was horrified that we made such a commotion. At least they all knew we were there.

I love kids and their attire. Levi and Austin are true blue boys and I would not have it any other way. Bryce had to wear a tiger costume everywhere and it was especially fun at the zoo we attended often. I did not know that about Jared, how funny!

I also love it when it is obvious which kids are dressing themselves for the first time. Moms who do not correct their kids are the BEST! Nothing like pants on backwards to put a smile on my face!

Jenn said...

You should have lived in pocatello when amy was going through that little phase, we laughed a lot and I (when I didn't have one of my own and didn't understand) cringed a lot when she'd come out from getting dressed. I'm sure I'll be in for paybacks...as my mom would put it!