Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Calling all advice!

After 12+ years of being a stay at home mom (a rare speciman), I am once again trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I am excited to be able to get a taste of the real world but with a much different and hopefully more mature perspective.

I have seen over the last 12 years how imperative it has been for me to be home with my children. I also believe that it is even more imperative that I remain at home with my children until the day they move on into the real world (I hope I will have the courage to let them go, they say that is what the teenage years are for so that we will want to let them go, I can't imagine).

Here is my dilemma. I want to have a "career," but it must be something that is flexible. I want to be home when my kids get home from school, days they are sick, and vacations. So I really can not get a "job."

I will NOT do a mulitiple level type business like Amway. I could try something like Pampered Chef or Mary Kay (don't ask me what the difference is frankly I do not know).

I have thought about getting my real estate lisence but I have worked with so many incompetent real estate agents that I am not sure. I have also thought about financial planning.

Maybe back to school and get either my law degree, become a Physician Assistant, or study computers but most likely all that would lead me to is a "job" that would take me a way from my family. They MUST remain number one in all I do.

Any ideas?

4 comments:

chelle said...

There is so much you can do. You will be blessed to know the right path very soon. I will keep thinking! But whatever you do, I know you will do it very well. M

Janell said...

My plan with law is once the kids are in school to match their schedules away from home and be home after school with them. I feel like there are so many opportunities out there and you can be whatever you want.

Figuring out the wanting part is challenging, though. I think just starting something will lead to where you evenutally need to go. Trial and error - if you go down the wrong path you will quickly know it is wrong. Starting action towards any goal is the first step, I beleive. Hope that makes sense!

Anonymous said...

Julie, you are so great at so many things. I chose my career because I knew I could have very flexible hours. And wouldn't have to work all the time to still have a great income. They have a dental hygiene program in provo now. As long as you don't live in Pocatello, it's a great career with a lot of opportunities, and so much flexibility. but, like I said, you need to think about your strengths and what you enjoy...I think you would love pampered chef, plus you get free products and get to cook all the time. There's a fairly new candle company around here that is pretty popular right now, called Scentsy, it's really promising. So...there's so much you can do, remember that some of the "party" jobs are going to take you out of your house at night, and nursing will be a nightmare, nurses are way over-worked. Hygiene is AWESOME, like I said, just don't go to ISU, or live in Pocatello, and you'd probably love it!

julie said...

You all made good points. I appreciate this. I honestly have been struggling with this for forever and am tired of wondering what I should be when I grow up.

If it just weren't for this drive inside me to do something, then I would not worry about being anything but a mom. Which is a great thing to be, but I can not ignore the drive.