Friday, February 29, 2008

We're Official!



This is from inside the cave which they call the crater. As you can tell the water is very warm, 92 degrees. It was a great place for our first open water dive (meaning not in a swimming pool). We dove down to 45 feet.
I get the underwater pictures back from the developer on Monday. I will add photos then. Talk about dark ages having to go and drop them off and then WAIT to get them back. I love digital!
In the two hour session we did two separate dives. We have to have four dives to get licenced. To make the drive only two time we dive come to the surface for 10 minutes then dive down again.
On Wednesday we dove on dive #3. It went great! My ears equilized no problem and I was one of the first ones down. We surfaced after doing our needed requirements and floated around for 10 minutes.
I made the mistake of floating on my back. I got water in my ears which is not a big deal for just swimming around. However when I needed to go back down for dive #4 I COULD not equilize my ears. Not fun! Finally I descended down to the 20 foot platform and did what I had to for my licence. It felt like I forced the water down deep in my ear and it is still there!
Then when I tried to continue descending the rest of the way I physically could not with my ear. I thought I would ascend just a bit to try to equilize my ear and then descend all over again. However the next thing I knew I was three feet from the surface. Opps, not good not good at all.
I ascended too fast and I did not feel good. Fortunately I was not deep enough to cause serious damage but my head was not clear and I needed to take it easy to get my breath. It was scary and will take some will power to get back under the water again.
Yesterday I did not feel good most of the day. I just ached all over and my ear was plugged up tight to the point of pain. I am all but back to normal today. My ear is not quite clear and I feel just a bit of discomfort in my shoulders.
I am not sure what happened but something did for sure. Anyone have any ideas? I want to go talk to the owner of the scuba shop, just to know what I could have done differently and if I should be doing anything specifically to get completely over it.
Could this be swimmer's ear? Anyone ever have that? What does it feel like? I just keep putting garlic drops in it and it seems to help.

5 comments:

chelle said...

I don't know. I am happy to go and get certified and then I might be able to figure out what happened. I will get back to you soon. M

chelle said...

PS what did scuba Joe say? I can ask Bruce if you like. M

julie said...

I have not talked to Scuba Ted yet. If talking to Bruce is not a problem that would be great!

Jenn said...

Pretty sure it's not swimmer's ear, since I've had that. You are so much more brave than me...I'm a little scared to go scuba diving, I don't like the thought that I can't get back up quickly if I needed to without obvious consequences. You should ask mom and dad, they would know I'm sure.

Amy said...

I am so excited that you finished! We all had so much fun doing the discover dive with you guys. Caleb and are both thinking of getting certified. I will probably do it as soon as I go home for summer so when I come back up I can do diving with you. I'd love to see the pictures when you get them. love, amy