Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ross Lost!

I just lost Ross last Sunday. Church was over and he was ready to RUN after being 'reverent' (term used loosely) for three hours.

He did not want to have to go home with me but stay with David (David had been gone to Mexico the previous week and had only returned the day before). David is the financial secretary and stays after to do tithing etc.

I had two bag and other things I needed to carry out to the car and it had already been 15 minutes of trying to get Ross to cooperate. So I finally decided the only way I would get home was to let Ross run off to David's office while I go and put everything in the car. Then I would return to get Ross.

I did just that and when I returned to get Ross, he was not in David's office. So I calmly walked around figuring he was hiding from me in the church. After scouring the church serveral times and not finding him, I went back to David's office to see if he were there again.

He was not and David asked what was wrong. I told him that I could not find him. David stopped what he was doing and came searching with me. Ross was definitely not in the church.

Whenever I have a missing child I say a little prayer asking if this child is in danger or just missing. I felt at peace that Ross was not in danger but just missing.

I suggested that Ross may have walked home, he tried that one alone a few months ago. So we hopped into the car and there was no Ross.

I asked David if I should call the police and he suggested that I call our hometeacher who is a police officer. David decided to drive around the neighborhood while I go make the call.

Pierce and I took this moment to kneel in prayer. Then when I went to make the call I felt that I needed to go outside first. So I did and then I saw David's car driving back toward the house. I was sure the only reason he would be coming back so soon was that he had Ross.

He did! Do you want to know where Ross was? With Bryce. Bryce was leaving church to go and collect fast offerings from our ward, when he saw Ross. Ross told Bryce that I said I wanted Bryce to take Ross with him (TURKEY!!!). So Bryce thinking I knew where Ross was, took him.

Thankfully our ward is a typical Utah Ward and is very small in geographics. David found Ross quickly by driving around the block.

I was not emotional and I was more like the lady you wrote about in your blog Janell. I hugged and then scolded Ross. Ross knew I loved him but that he cannot pull that stunt again!

3 comments:

Janell said...

Lost children are so scary. It sounds like you held it together, though!

chelle said...

You did a great job with this one. It is so scary to have a lost child. When Corbin was missing, I saw my life slipping away before my eyes. I was not calm. I am impressed with the way you kept it together. M

julie said...

It was the spirit. I just felt very calm that he was fine and that all would be OK. Otherwise I would have been a mess. It is so scary to have them gone. I can not imagine the horror of losing a child for good. Or should I say I don't want to imagine?